Thursday 27 October 2011

A day of confusion and research.

I am beginning to think I should re-type this blogs subheading and replace it with "Reading religion in bits day by day, and confusing myself." I read some of the Koran and some of the bible, I skimmed through Mere Christianity.

I also Googled the following terms:

Proof Jesus existed

Proof of God

Muslim Converts

When was Mathew Written

Christian Converts

Was Jesus god

etc.

I have been on a mad tangent,not exactly what I am looking for. Am I really hoping to find the answer to one of life's biggest questions on the internet?

I am sure if I was a psychologist that I could unpick my desire for answers, my need for conformation of some kind. Some may say you are looking for it in all the wrong places. Can words hold the key to something that must be purely emotional?

I am moving on to the Buddhist teachings. I have read some before and i will admit I really relate to that type of spirituality. I remember reading on a forum, someone stated that Buddhism was for "atheists who are scared to believe in nothing" or something a long those lines.

I think Buddhism is one of the wisest ways of thought and living that we have on the planet. Although even Buddhism has some dogmas, it also has the key to true self awareness and inner peace. Buddhism tells you to rely on yourself to make happiness, not to worship in hope that you will be given the reward of peace or love.

My favorite Buddhist quote is:  

       “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

Is this not the complete opposite to what other mainstream religions say: believe me when I tell you. Do not question? Considering that quote was written around 500 yrs BC I think that is extremely forward thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment